Monday, February 13, 2012

We got more bounce in California

Meant to be posted on:  Saturday!

P90X turned out to be more than I bargained for.
By that I mean I anticipated not being able to get through the entire video from the get go.
In all actuality after about 15 minutes, I had to shut it down.
Turns out I am not as flexible as I used to be (let's just say I cannot even touch my toes) and there will need to be some yoga blocks purchased stat.

Last night we headed out to a party with some friends.
It was a blast.  As we were heading out the door, I realized the night was still early and we headed to the bar to whoop it up a little longer.
It's embarrassing how giddy we were to be out.  At a bar.  After midnight.
What is more embarrassing is the fact that I could not peel myself out of bed this morning and remained there until after noon.
Give this girl a beer (or three) and things go downhill.

Today was supposed to kick off my first long outdoor run along the coast.
By the time I crawled out of bed, I had no interest in running outdoors.
Fresh air, after being indoors in bed all day, I was sure would somehow be too clean for my body to handle in it's present state.
I headed to the gym.
I cannot for the life of me run without music.
If I hear the sound of my feet hitting the pavement, treadmill - it exhausts me (I cannot explain this) and I lose the urge to run.
Before heading out I frantically searched for where I had placed my iPod and through all of the digging, lifting, prodding around I found my old school iPod that was D's Christmas present to me the first year we met.  (Sadly, i was hoping to find my rings which I also misplaced...we are an organized bunch at our house...no success)

One of my BFFs growing up always swore by coming up with an alias when you work out.
She was convinced that if you listened to music when working out that you normally did not listen to, it would motivate you.
My alias, turns out, was someone living on the mean streets of the intercity.
That's right.
I used to love working out to rap music, well, mostly rap music.
As I was breaking back in the old school iPod, I was greeted by the likes of Eminem, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg mixed in with some other selections like the theme song to Laguna Beach.
Running 7 miles on the treadmill gives you a lot of mental down time to travel down memory lane.
I couldn't quite remember when or why my music selection had changed until "Welcome to Detroit" popped into the mix.
I had been that guy from the beginning of the movie Office Space.
Working as a marketing associate right out of college had me on the road continuously.
Despite the fact that I technically lived in Kalamazoo, I was on the road 28-29 days out of the month.
One of the first surgeries I had to cover was in Detroit.
I had my iPod plugged into the radio (with D's other Christmas gift the adapter) and I was blaring tunes as I made the 2+ hour drive at dawn into Detroit.
When Eminem's song came on I was pulling into a Subway parking lot.
Windows down, music blaring.
I thought I was pretty cool, I mean come on, Welcome to Detroit, when you're in Detroit for the first time?
As I stepped into the Subway there was a lot to take in.
Plexi glass separated me from the person taking my order.
A net connected the top of the plexi glass to the wall.
I paid for my order and received my sandwich through a rotating lazy susan.
I was NOT in the suburbs anymore.
As I got into the car, I quickly closed all of the windows and continued on my journey in silence.

As I reached the end of my run, another Laguna Beach song came on.
I remember downloading it when I was planning on moving to SD after D and I got hitched (girl dreaming after the first or second date)
I have to chuckle thinking that last time I was singing the tune of "We got more bounce in California than all yall combined" I was running on a treadmill.  Daydreaming.  In Kalamazoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment